HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

Bedtime Woes - Aren't Just For Newborns & Toddlers!

Friday, January 31, 2014

My kids are great kids but let's face it - they're kids, and although I don't have too many gripes, We do have some struggles..

One being recently they've started this little trend where they will dawdle at bedtime. They will have to pee three times, they'll have to re-brush their teeth because they might have missed a spot! They fight and take their time to tell the tale. It's just always something.

Now? They like to lay down for half an hour or so, then come downstairs for some water, sit at the table sipping on said water. I'm all, hello didn't I just put you to bed? This can happen multiple times a night.

Kyla is the worst for it - she does this every single night. Ava does it usually only when her legs are hurting her. Jordan will come down for a drink, or toilet paper or to tell me something he forgot to tell me after school, multiple times a week. I honestly don't get it. What is so hard about "it's bedtime!"? It can get so frustrating especially when they never have reasons besides "I was thirsty" okay well we have mini cups in the bathroom for that, and it doesn't take them hours and multiple trips for that one drink. So what is truly going on?

They are tired. Their behaviour is a fine indicator of that. We've tried later bedtimes, earlier bedtimes.. Doesn't work. They all with the exception of Jordan have night lights or some form of one - the girls have flower lamps that change colour for when they sleep. The boys have a flashing sign lighting up their room that says "ROCK!".. All leave their bedroom doors open a bit, with the upstairs bathroom light on - So I know it's not that. I don't think it's a separation thing; or Could it be?

They have bedtime snacks, plus a few sips of a drink before heading up to brush their teeth, go pee and we read bedtime stories. What is it in those thirty minutes after they've been given kisses and tucked in do they do that makes them so thirsty they need a drink? their bladder so full they MUST PEE NOW? Or there is something left unsaid they must say RIGHT NOW? Clueless mom here because I don't get it.

Last night Kyla came down three hours after our bedtime routine, she got a drink. . . Sat on the floor staring at the baby, not even saying a word. I asked her what she's doing? She said "getting a drink." This was well after 10 o'clock at night. Way past bedtime, and not time to be up messing around..

Bedtime is mama's time to relax, get some work done, write a blog...and generally just have some quiet "me" time. But this is becoming a habit. It's starting to feel like I don't ever get some time to myself, and that is a must for any parent... But, more than that - I wan't to get to the bottom of what is going on. She says nothing, and never has any reasons or excuses besides being thirsty. But I'm not really buying it...

My kids are brutal in the am if they don't get adequate sleep so - I need to nip this in the bud pronto...... I just don't know what is going on. Has anyone else dealt with this before? I can't be the only one....

9 comments:

  1. You definitely aren't alone in this bedtime woes. My 2 boys tends to play on their bed well past 10pm. Of course the tv is always on because they are afraid of dark. I want them to understand when its lay down, its time to lay down. bed is not to be jumped on and played on. its for relax your body, mind and soul. they apparently don't understand. I may have to move their bedtimes from 9pm to 8pm and see from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Hope you can figure this out soon too! I've been trying everything!

      Delete
  2. I can completely relate! My oldest one immediately starts telling me he's hungry or thirsty the second I tell him it's time for bed. Hopefully its just a phase. I wish *I* had taken advantage of sleep when I was their age haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so weird. Kyla is the worst for it, she does it every single night... When I was a kid I never did this the only time I'd be up is when I had growing pains or a nightmare!

      Delete
  3. my eight year old has this exact problem. maybe its a girl thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be, since Kyla is basically the only one who does it. Jordan can sometimes but its more him not being tired and wanting drinks constantly whereas Kyla will hang around, keep coming down and she does it nightly.

      Delete
  4. Has your husband been working different hours where he isn't able to see the kids as much as normal? We find we have issues with that (and them being over tired) when Daddy is working funky hours. Usually during planting season and harvest here (farmer). So the only way to combat it is to try and get as much daddy time in as we can!! Hang in there mama! You're a great mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually quite the opposite! He's been on the same schedule for over a year, and even recently been home a lot more!

      Thank you, I'm hanging in but its tough some nights when I just need quiet time to myself!

      Delete
    2. Awww that stinks!!! :( Maybe they just need a daddy date day? And DH can take them someplace fun? I know it's winter so that's probably hard to find a place to play that's cheap or free. We have to do this sometimes with our older girls. They seem to miss daddy the most and have the most dramatic actions when they are missing him.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design