HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

Sister Code

Saturday, June 14, 2014

My girls are very close in age. I mean 10 months apart close. So this can pose a challenge for us all quite often. Both girls are extremely smart, funny, witty, caring and overly emotional typical 6 and 7 year olds. They are sisters so they are bound to bicker and love each other one minute while hating each other the next, but it's gotten to the point now we've had to separate them - they've both had their own rooms now for almost a year as sharing DID NOT work. 

We've many heart to heart talks with both of them individually and together but it doesn't matter, they are constantly at each other. We've given them space, gotten them to walk away if they feel the other is bothering them, and have some time to themselves. I just never really understood this kind of behaviour - I am one of 4, but all my siblings are older than me and were basically out of the house when I was this age. So, I'm a bit lost here.

I am still not sure if it's because of the age they are at right now, the fact that they are so close in age, or just because they are sisters. My sister is older than me by more than 10 years, so I can't really say I relate to what these two are going through. I know that when they get older it will come back up again, and will probably get worse. But at this age, I don't think it should be like it is at least not yet!

So, we've come up with a "Sister Code" that seem to be working for the time being.

1. Be kind: no using harsh words, telling each other to shut up or that you don't like each other.

2. Help!: offer to help each other if you see someone is struggling with something.

3. Mind each other's feelings: be uplifting - find something nice about each other's outfit, hair, story or day that you can compliment each other on at least once a day!

4. Hug it out: instead of using your harsh words and hands, hug tightly and for longer than 5 seconds!

5. SMILE: you are sisters. Be there for each other and you'll never be alone!



We've made this into a check list for them and they like keeping track of all the things they follow through with on the list for the last two weeks. There is no reward or incentive besides being a good sister and they both are completely smitten with this idea. My girls love each other, as do sisters - but they won't get along 24/7. I get that, they get that too. But right now basically every little thing they do right now gets on each other's nerves, so we had to try something constructive. 

It won't be like this forever - but when the teen years come, it will get WORSE. So I'm trying these solutions now to see how things go in hopes that when the teenage years roll around it won't be too bad.... I'm hopeful!

22 comments:

  1. My two oldest had to have separate rooms too. They youngest would put things on his brother's 'side' and proclaim the room clean. Sending my very clean older child into tears. One example of many, lol. They're grown now and the very best of friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two daughters, they are 2 and 3. (18 months apart) and they are best friends and sometimes worst enemies! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how fast they can change from friends to arguing up a storm!

      Delete
  3. I have two boys that I close together like this. I think I need to implement a brother code. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info and even for the boys too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! What a great idea. Our oldest two are two years apart and they could totally use these same rules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome idea! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your sister code....my son and daughter were 3 years apart and they argued all the time. Drove me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this and get a little sad. I am 4 years & 3 months older than my sister and we have never gotten along. Ever. I blame the age difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! 10 months apart! You get to do everything basically at one time and get it over with, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom used to tell my sister and I that "sisters will be sisters," and it sounds like your girls are just like we were! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister and I bickered and we are 3 years apart. My sons fight over cars and they are 3 years apart. I think it just happens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From what I have seen and heard from my cousins and kids in my own class, the bickering is normal. And when they are teens it will be worst...but, when they are adults, they'll be each others best friend. Hopefully. I think you are doing a great job at trying to help them sort things out in a loving way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sister Code, what a great idea. I have 3 sisters and this would have been great for us. Now that we are all adults we finally get along. I feel bad for some of the stuff we put our parents through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though it may be hard at this time, I know they will probably appreciate each other when they get older. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  15. We could have use this when I was growing up. I am the oldest of 4 girls and I don't know how my parents handeled it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh you are my hero! ten months apart??? Our daughter is 8 months, and I can't even imagine being pregnant again right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like that you created rules and a code for your girls. My twins created a twin code that helps them do the right things towards each other.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are too sweet. I actually only had a brother so I don't know how I can relate. That is crazy they are ten months apart! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this Sister Code. What a great way to teach them to be kind to each other. This will carry on to other relationships as well . Thanks for sharing i will be telling my friends with younger kids about this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea. I'm loving this code.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My sister and I are close in age. 18 months apart. We really didn't get along until we were adults and now I would do anything for her. You are doing a great job. Love the sister code.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design