HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

Puppy Love

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Before we moved to Toronto we had gotten our dog Chase. He was a mix of Chihuahua and Jack Russell. Besides being a bit yippy, and loving to escape hes a great dog. We decided when we found out we had gotten this house that we would look into getting a 2nd dog.. Why? I'm not really sure, I didn't actually think we would find the perfect dog so I wasn't too worried about it.

We lived in an Apartment and a week before we were to move into our house my husband was coming home from the store. He opened our door and said "I found you a puppy!" I didn't think anything of it until a girl came in behind him, with a dog and she was carrying a fashion bag. I looked at the dog and thought "Huh? That dog is at least two!?" little did I know when she put the bag down two little heads would pop up..  Coco and Chanel.

Coco was white and had brown markings and Chanel was blonde. Shih Tzu's. I was IN LOVE.

Of Course, I wanted. They had a pretty big price tag, but I didn't care. I had to have her.

My husband said, which would do you like.. I jumped up and over she came to me! "THIS ONE!"

We bought her, meet Chanel.

 Isn't she darling?

Well fast forward to the summer. We had never had a female dog before, I've always had males. So I was oblivious, and pretty dumb to be honest. We had scheduled her spay for later on in the summer (little did I know, sooner the better!) but RIGHT before that could happen, she fell pregnant. AWFUL I know, I'm still mad at myself for it. We know how awful it is, the risk and what bad doggy parents we were. No need to remind.

Chanel & Chase.

She went to the vets a few times during her short pregnancy, and even an ultrasound to try to help us determine how many puppies she was going to have. October she was due. I had made her a Whelping box, had everything ready that she needed. I had done tons of research and informed myself the best I could. The vets couldn't tell us how many puppies she had inside her - 5 possibly 7. Take a look at her sonogram photo, I was in SHOCK I had never seen an ultrasound of a dog before.


October rolled around and she had been spending lots of time in her Whelping box (normal) but I knew it was coming. We had been tracking her temp, and the night before the big day I knew it was coming she was right where she needed to be temp wise, she was panting and restless.

October 6th, dinner time we were sitting down to eat our Thanksgiving dinner and Chanel let out a HUGE yelp and noises that instantly brought me to tears. I checked, she was fine. I went to unload the dishwasher and our oldest yelled "Chanel has something black shes licking!" I came running - sure enough, puppy #1! I was in shock.

640p a tiny itty, bitty little blonde puppy - a male - was born. He was adorable. So it began. Husband got the kids bathed, and ready for bed while I sat with Chanel, cheering her on and being the best support for her I could. I was so nervous, and basically a wreck. My poor girl was a trooper though and finished giving birth just before midnight to 6 absolutely perfect, stunning puppies.



The kids and I named them all. Theodore, Thomas, Leo, Ace, Skyla and Butterscotch (was the runt!) She had 4 boys and 2 girls (kinda like someone else I know, eh?) This started our journey to making sure these puppies got the best care, and would end up in the best homes possible.

BOY OH BOY ARE PUPPIES A CHORE! But - I wouldn't change it for the world. This is an experience I'm glad I got to go through once in my life, but won't ever do again. Ever.

Watching them grow, learn to walk, learn to eat/drink was absolutely an incredible experience. Chanel did amazing nursing them all until it was time to get them on solid food. She didn't neglect any of the puppies, and we didn't lose a single one. All 6 survived and thrived. My kids helping and being able to see all of this as well was truly amazing for them. They loved every second of it.


I didn't want to let them go, any of them. So I originally said I wasn't letting them go to homes before 8/9 weeks, but by 6 weeks we had amazing homes for each and every single one of them, they had been to the vet's twice and were all perfectly healthy, had their shots and were ready to go. 7 weeks they all went to their new furever homes. It was the most heart wrenching experience of my life to date. As each one left, I cried and cried... It's amazing how attached to these little creatures one can get.



We didn't want to make money off the puppies, just enough to cover their vet trips and shots so we charged a small re-homing fee, and checked into the families, all of which agreed to keep us updated on how the puppies are (they ALL have except 1 family) The families they went to are incredible. I even have one on my instagram, she even made HIM an instagram account too so we follow him along his life too!


We decided to keep 1 puppy, Butterscotch but we didn't end up keeping her because I had become strangely attached to a different puppy, Ace.  Something about his eyes really had me attached to him, and its funny because now hes so attached to me its like he has had this bond with me since his birth, and its something I've never seen before.

So yes, we have 6 kids and 3 dogs... This is our family, and it's absolute chaos but I love it! These dogs, are apart of our family, they are apart of us! So now you know them, here they are... Chase, Chanel and Ace!

(side note: Chanel was spayed shortly after the puppies left, and Chase was fixed right before so no more puppies will ever come into this household.)

37 comments:

  1. How sweet! This is such a beautiful story. The puppies are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute puppies! Wonderful that you found loving homes for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet story to share! I remember when I was a little girl my mom had allowed a pregnant female cat into our home because it appeared to be homeless. She gave birth in our home and had several kittens. It was an amazing experience and I agree that it's very tough letting go of the babies that you've helped care for, even if it is just for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are adorable puppies :) I grew up having dogs, but haven't had one in a few years. When my youngest is a little bit older, we plan on getting on a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love puppies - and they were all adorable! We haven't had a puppy in the house in quite some time (longer than 10 years!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute and adorable. I am more a cat person. However I have been thinking about getting a pup for the kids now that they are older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story and they are so cute. I am allergic to dogs and cats so I don't have any pets. I do enjoying seeing pictures and hearing about my friends and families pets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so sweet! I didn't know they did ultrasounds on animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was an X-ray, but I always say ultrasound because that's what us humans get:) whoops!

      Delete
  9. oh my gosh! they are so adorable! I want to cuddle with them myself. I adore puppies, babies, and all things small and wonderful. congratulations on this blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm normally not a fan of small dogs, but those are the cutest darn puppies ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shitzhus are the cutest dogs! But the puppies are pretty cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've only ever had girl dogs.. never boy dogs. I remember as a young girl getting to experience our dog having puppies and it was an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that might just be the cutest set of puppies I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, look at those little cuties. I love puppies even though they are a lot of work. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful story. They are the cutest little things and I am so glad you kept one as a reminder of that memorable time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great day and thanksgiving weekend! Chanel did so wonderful! Remember how worried we were???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww, this is such a sweet story. I bet I would cry giving the pups away too. I am glad you found them good homes. We have 3 dogs too and it can be chaotic for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for showing so much cuteness ! The sonogram was so cool, all those little puppies in there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh - I love the pictures of the puppies! I just want to pick them all up and cuddle them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How adorable and I'm happy that they were able to go to forever homes that will take care of them they way they should be. We currently have a full breed Shih-Tzu who loves to run away. As soon as the door opens, he's out the door for his early morning run, but he comes right back. Dogs are truly man's best friend, he currently sleeps in my daughter's room on her bed with her and I know he's going to miss her when she leaves for college this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so beautiful! And timely! We promised our son a dog when school starts, I would have loved one of these!
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  22. We just talked to the kids yesterday about someday getting a small dog. We don't have the room or yard for one now, but I know the kids would love to have one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I tried commenting last night, but my internet went down before it posted. Just wanted to say, I am so glad you found homes for the puppies. I would have had a hard time parting too. Such cuties. Glad you got to keep one

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you had a great ending! Wow, 6 beautiful pups!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, the fact that you named them Coco and Chanel is just too adorable!! But I love the story also and it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad you were able to find homes for all the puppies. That isn't always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aww. They are all TOO cute. Ace is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE YOUR PUPPIES!!! How sweet! And that sonogram pic, I swear I see a human baby head in there! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMGoshhhhh this is the sweetest post ever, I'm totally crying at the cuteness!! I want them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aww the pictures were amazing is the first time I see a dog ultrasound ever, so adorable. I have a cat nor a dog and sometimes I dont think I'll ever be a furry-grandma scares me to dead soemthing could happen to my baby

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would like to go through this experience...but just once like you said! I think it would be amazing to watch this miracle of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Chanel is so precious. I had a Shih Tzu - Poodle mix. My husband got me him for my birthday. There were three in the crate and I picked him up. He climped up to my shoulder and snuggled in my hair. Thats how i knew he was the one.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So cute!! She looks like she is a very good mommy. 6 pups must be a lot to take care of!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh you have some great pics. They are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh these little puppies are too precious! My kids have been begging for a puppy for the longest time, and I continue to decline. This may have softened me up a little but don't tell!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm a big dog person, but seeing your little ones as puppies and even the last photo of your 3 makes me think I might be okay with little dogs too. lol We may need to get a second dog... Our Lila needs a friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design