HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

Not Super, Just Mom.

Saturday, November 09, 2013

 "You are superwoman!"

Today I woke up feeling awful. My head was throbbing, my throat hurt and a wisdom tooth I had broke in half 2 weeks after Justin was born was also throbbing. I knew it was going to be a tough day with DH working until 630p, but I had to get through it.

People always say things to me like "wow, you are supermom!" or "I don't know how you do it!" and today, I didn't feel so super and I didn't know how I was going to do it. To let you in on a little secret I HATE when people say I'm super mom... Why? Because I'm not, and it makes me feel like I have to be ALL THE TIME.

Today, Like most days the kids truly wanted to be at each other all day, by noon I just let them bicker back and forth. I had gotten so tired of telling two or more to stop it, or be quiet. I couldn't think of anymore chores to hand out to get them away from each other because the house was clean, the dishes were done and I wasn't starting any baking today. So we read, we played a game and watched a tv show.. Needless to say the bickering and screaming went on most of the day. At one point I even had to stomp my feet and send 4 of them to their rooms. That's not real super.

Most weekends when I'm not feeling awful we bake, we cook, we do crafts and we do lots of things together... today I really just wanted to rest and not do much, so when I knew I had the chance to sit and do things with them I did instead of being up and all over the place with them.

Still wondering how I was going to get through the day I realized, I don't have to have a perfectly clean house, something baking or cooking - I just have to get through the day and as long as my kids are happy, healthy, clean and loved who cares about everything else, at least for one day!  I'm NOT supermom, I'm just mom. So if I have a lazy day, I shouldn't feel guilty right? 

It really bugs me when people say I'm supermom because I always feel like I have to live up to that every single day even when I feel sick. I feel like I need to prove something to people, to myself and I don't know why. Maybe its because of the comments I get about having six kids - I don't know. It's something I should really sit down and think about why it bothers me as to most it would be a compliment. I guess just feeling like there's a standard that I must live up to since people think I'm something I'm not is a bit hard to deal with.

Today, I wasn't supermom. I wasn't trying to live up to anything -- Today I just got through the day. And that's okay. It felt great!

And guess what? The kids are just fine.

The whole "I don't know how you do it" doesn't bother me but I don't know what that means really? I do it like any other parent "does" it. Just because I have six kids doesn't mean I'm so different it just means there's extra noise, extra mouths and extra love! I love all the hussle and bustle of little kids hooting and hollering around me. I love always having the house full! I'm no different, just have some extra people in my life to love!

I dunno, hopefully I can keep re-reading this entry to remind myself - - It's OK to be sick, it's OK not to over do it everyday...

10 comments:

  1. Very well written! I hope you do read this again because you are amazing and don't have to prove yourself to a single soul. A wonderful mother and person like you shouldn't ever stress over living up to anyone's standards but yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! I could imagine the comments you would get with 6 babies! I get enough with just three kids. You do an amazing job! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's silly to me anyone feels the need to comment about anything, and although I'm sure most of the time its intended as a compliment I just dislike it!!! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. People sometimes don't understand even what they are saying. I think it's great you feel this way because you are human and it shows you are a great mom and don't need the compliments no matter how true they are ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The days that we lool back and be. How did I survive that one are the days tgat make us stronger. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your post on instagram and figured I'd check it out. 1.Hope you feel better soon! 2. I think as mom we put way too much pressure on our selves to be perfect and raise perfect children. Just like you said as long as they are happy, healthy, clean and loved that should be the main thing we strive for.

    Best,
    Lauren
    http://tarheeltransplant.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren I feel much better now! I agree, I think we do too.. hopefully I can keep looking back at this to remind myself too ;)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design