HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

Is Cloth Diapering for you?

Thursday, January 09, 2014



Cloth Diapering has recently become what some would call a "trend"... but is it for you?

Cloth Diapering has really changed my life. Not only have we saved hundreds of dollars not having to buy disposables all the time and not putting out extra bags of trash on garbage day.. We have also not had to battle more than 2 rashes ever which were due to sickness, and we've never experienced leaks or blow outs even though we've cloth diapered 3 boys now.

Our electricity or water bills haven't gone up dramatically either, to be honest there wasn't much of a change as we are doing laundry all the time anyway having 8 people in the house. It's 1 extra load a week. I don't use the dryer, so that also helps keep things low...

Do you think cloth diapering is gross? Do you think you really couldn't do it? Sure, it's not for everyone - but the only reason it's not is because you don't think you can do it! Everyone can do it, it's just a matter of wanting to and making that switch! Sometimes the initial cost upfront can scare people, but I promise you it's not that bad... You can start buying a little at a time and in the end, you save a ton. Not only do you save but you don't have to fear running out in the middle of the night, or in the middle of a storm. You never run out!

I get questions all the time about cloth diapering, so much so I started writing them down. I've decided now is as good a time as any to post them and answer them too!

  • How do you dry your diapers if its snowing or freezing cold outside? - Simple, I hang them or lay them flat to dry inside. I only put them out in the summer time before 10a to hang for a few minutes, then I take them down anyways so this is no different. As long as you don't hang or lay your diapers near a heat source they should be fine, and dry rather quickly.
  • How do you cloth diaper two kids, isn't that a tremendous amount of laundry? - It's not. I do diaper laundry every 3rd day. I have enough diapers for longer than that, but leaving them to sit too long isn't good for them and can cause them to get pretty stinky. Both boys diapers can go in the same load so that doesn't make extra loads either.
  • Do you have to touch the poop? - Do you touch the poop with disposables? No! It's the same as with cloth. You never touch the poop, and if that's what you are worried about there is even disposable liners that you can inside the diapers for easy clean up by dumping soils into the toilet, and flushing it all away.
  • Don't they smell? - The opposite actually. I can't ever tell if one of the boys has popped with smell. I always just have to check because I never smell anything when they've pooped in cloth. Unlike disposables when I could smell it a room away :x
  • How do I know what detergent to use? There's so many conflicting answers?: The easiest answer would be again to research and do some testing. How can you truly know which detergent works for you if you don't try? I think I tried 3 different cloth diaper detergents before settling on a 4th which I used successfully for almost 2 years before switching to a mainstream "free and clear" detergent. Some detergents can become pricey if you can only find them online. If you can find someone you know to lend you a small sample to try for a few washes, that is always a good idea that way you can see for sure before purchasing. My only suggestion? Don't buy in bulk until you know which detergent will suit your washer, wash routine, baby's bottom and your diapers.
  • Aren't they too much work? I don't have time! - They aren't too much work at all. If I can do it with 6 kids, you can too! But if you don't want to that's fine!It can be intimidating, and scary for some! For me - I put them in the washer for a rinse, click buttons to start a wash, add soap and walk away. Click more buttons for a final rinse, then hang them! I didn't think I would have the time either when I was thinking about making the switch when pregnant for baby #5, but I decided to take the whole half an hour it all adds up to when the kids were in bed for the night and I was having my tea reading a book or watch tv. Once a week isn't much for the money saved, and to have fluffy cloth on those cute little bum cheeks.
  • How do I know what to use? There's so many brands and Types? - Research. I had to do tons of research and even then I chose completely wrong for me when I started. I was so lucky to have found AppleCheeks 2 years ago, ever since then it's been easy and smooth for us. I'd suggest looking online, reading reviews, and even going into diaper stores to see and feel the diapers. Often times some retailers do offer test programs at a low cost which gives you a few brands to try and at the end the option to keep the diapers you find work best for you. I use pocket diapers, which are the most like disposables. I wash them, stuff them and put them away so when we need them we just grab and go!
  • The cost can be a lot at first, how is that saving money?  - The cost upfront can be difficult, I started buying a few at a time and eventually ended up with a huge gorgeous stash. I also started buying on FSOT pages on facebook as well as new from online stores. The cost also depends on what brand and type you choose. I happened to find a brand that not only holds their value on normal line up colors, but also has an amazing re-sale value on discontinued colours that they no longer sell. You can make some cost back by re-selling basically any brand of diapers... Different brands vary with how much you will get back though. You just have to think of it as an investment. A wise investment. One that over the course of your diapering journey can save you greatly. 

 Cloth diapering has really been wonderful for us. My husband was on board from the get go, he even washes them and hangs them when I'm sick or just because he wants to. He changes them with absolutely no problems too! 

We save the money from not buying disposables, or putting out extra trash and can use it doing other things with our kids. Using cloth has also opened my life up to a whole new set of people in a community I would never in a million years think good friends could be made. It's been wonderful. I also have had the privilege of working from home for an amazing cloth diaper company from the last year that I truly believe in and has made all the difference in the world when it comes to cloth diapering for me. 

When I started I tried a bunch of brands, and had some issues. I found a brand that worked for me (AppleCheeks) and then those issues were non-exsistant. The only time I ever had a leak was when we had to buy a new washer when our old one died, and I had to play with my detergent amounts, to see how my new washer truly worked ... But as soon as I did, It's been smooth sailing ever since.

I know a lot of people feel they are too busy, they don't want to do the extra load of laundry, or just truly think cloth diapering is gross. That's fine. That's your choice! But if you truly want to save money, and have a diaper on your baby's bottom that isn't a disposable, and that you will never run out of I promise it's worth a shot!

So the answer to the title of this post? "Is cloth diapering for you?" - YES! Cloth Diapering is for everyone. You just have to have to want to make the switch and jump right in! If not, that's alright too - but I promise, it isn't as bad as you think! ;) 

8 comments:

  1. you are the reason I started to cloth diaper in the first place.thanks for this any time someone questions me I will point them here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog!! Everything is totally true, some parents think that cloth is "gross" yet putting a disposable full of chem's on your baby's parts is "gross."

    I'm so glad I switched to cloth diapers almost 3 years ago now! And having 2 in cloth doesn't add any extra laundry to my life with 5 people in this house.

    Also my garbage can never smells!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne! It's such a great feeling knowing I'm doing all I can for my babies bums and helping others:)

      Delete
  3. I'm sharing this with a friend who asked about cloth diapering!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If (ahem, when) we ever have babies - I'm seriously thinking of cloth diapering. It saves so much money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! Also, less rashes and smells. Not to mention SO cute!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design