HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

The Selfie Me Vs The Real Me

Sunday, October 26, 2014

I don't know if this is an issue with anyone else but who doesn't love a good selfie? I'll tell you I've come to loathe the selfie.

Why? Because I am not a fan of photos of myself in general but a selfie? Is a chore. It also isn't really me. Taking a good selfie to me is like pulling teeth. I have to make sure the angle is right, the light is a specific way, the filter has to be perfect. It's a pain.

However I have made a point of being in more photos, especially with the kids. I was told about a year ago there isn't enough photos of me so now I try, but are the photos really who I am? Not really. 

Last week I wanted to take a photo for my blog that I could use on all social media to help people know who I was, and be able to associate my photo with blog. I went through all my selfies and none of them were a true representation of me. If you were to bump into me outside on the street you most definitely wouldn't see me as my "selfie-self".

When taking photos I think about my kids. My girls mostly, and how they must feel when they see me setting myself up for a selfie, or deleting them because I just don't like them. After writing this post I've gotten a lot better about myself, but I know there's still a lot to work on. Making sure the kids see me happy with myself, and not always deleting or altering photos of myself is a huge deal to me so I have been working on this for sometime. Now it was time for me to post photos that weren't the perfect photo - not the ultimate selfie.

I asked Jordan who is so talented when it comes to photos if he would snap a few shots for me. Of course he did, and I LOVED the results. However, I was still a little nervous about posting them.

I wanted a true representation of me, who I am on a daily basis. The mom you'd see on the sidewalk, bump into and know exactly who I am... Have no idea what I'm talking about? Here's an example of my "Selfie-self" hair just right, little bit of make up and perfect lighting and angle.



Here's a photo Jordan took of me last week, no make up, no perfect hair, no perfect side angle, Just ME. Goes with the one to the right on the side bar....


I look like two different people. I'm sure this happens with a lot of people, but why? I have no answer. Except for myself which is I just generally have never liked photos of myself. My hair always looks fluffy and out of this world - it's super thick and long, I can't wear it up due to headaches and migraines so it's always the same. I rarely put make up on unless it's to go out to a fancy dinner or event.

Then it dawned on me when I was asking my husband and sister in law for advice on what photo I should use - I've spent way too much time worrying about what my photos look like, and instead I should just embrace them because I love who I am as a person, and I'm quite okay with how I look as a mom of 6 littles - I am who I am. Which, is easier said than done believe me but it's true. Why online do we feel the NEED to only post those perfect photos? I don't know but I am going to take one photo and one photo only from now on and post it. Not 40 photos of the same thing, and choose which is best! This doesn't teach our kids anything or set a good example and I don't even think we realize this. Our kids watch everything we do. My girls, always try to do things I do. 

So I took the plunge -- I posted my photo, I used it with pride and am very happy I did. No misleading, no perfect seflie, just pure honest me. I'll admit I did throw on that "Mayfair" filter from Instagram because I LOVE the deep colours and how bright photos come out, but the rest? Is what it is!



Do you like taking selfies? Do you often find photos are a true representation of you?


22 comments:

  1. I hate taking selfies but when I feel like I have to, I end up taking way too much time on them but even if it was not a selfie I'd take way too much time editing it also. I'm in a no win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate selfies and nope I do not think photos are a good representation of me. Some people take fantastic pics some don't. I am a don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can think about is how jealous I am of your gorgeous thick hair! I hate taking selfies but my kids love em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't know how to take good selfies! No skills here! I will say that we actually went to the Zoo today and for the first time ever I saw folks taking selfies with the animals. That was weird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just so picky when it comes to photos of myself! It's about time I swap out my headshot for my blog as well since I've had that one up for 9 months or so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take a lot of selfies I admit! The selfie that is just YOU, not made up, is the best one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I both hate taking selfies. Hate because it's a close up! Like you can really see EVERYTHING lol Some people are really good at taking selfies, but the few selfies I took of myself I was all dolled up so I don't think they count!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your pictures look great! I take the worst selfies but, as I've gotten older, I've cared less and less. It's become more important to me to show my kids that I'm happy with myself and confident enough to post photos, whatever they look like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never taken a selfie before. Ever, lol. I think your selfies came out wonderful. To me it looks like you couldn't take a bad picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I have taken a selfie that I like. I usually give my son or husband my phone to take a picture of me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really bad at taking selfies - I actually hate having my photo taken, I wish I was more comfortable in front of the camera to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! I love all of your selfies but especially the first one. I need to do this same thing. I hate taking selfies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't take selfies. As a matter of fact I'm usually the one behind the camera and not in front of it. I hate taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't even do selfies, let along let anyone take photos of me. Every once in a while I will do one with the boys just to have them, but I never share those. I think you're adorable, and you definitely have no reason to hide from the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't hate selfies, but I don't love them. I've found that unless I take a selfie, we'll end up with 400 photos of everyone else and not one of me. :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't care for selfies in that I have to position the camera/phone just right so I don't look as heavy as I am. Which isn't a true representation so I totally get that. I think you look great both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am usually the one taking the photos so often I have to take a selfie or there will be no photo of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To this day I still have not posted a selfie, I'm just not that photogenic. I'm more a photographer than a model.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love taking selfies. I think they are part of accepting yourself for who you are and loving yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am like you I was afraid of taking photos as well. That is one of the things that I have made myself do this year and that is get in front of the camera instead of behind,

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG, finally a kindred spirit. I for one HATE being in pictures in general. I always have. No two pictures of me ever look the same either. I am so much happier behind the camera than I am in front of one. and I hate having to appear anti-social at blogger events but I really do not like being photographed, the assumption is that bloggers want to be in pictures all the time and for many of us that is NOT the case!

    The picture I use on my blog and my business cards is an un-retouched photo that was taken of me by surprise at a restaurant for a brand that I served as an Ambassador for at the time with a cell phone. I did nothing to this photo and it's my all time favorite picture of myself. And when I go places people have always been able to recognize me.

    Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love taking selfies! I dont fuss (much) about lighting, angles and all that. It's more about my feeling in that moment when I take the picture to remember or share.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design