HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

No One Will Think Any Less Of You..

Friday, February 21, 2014

It's no secret I don't like winter. I don't really like Summer all that much either. It's either too cold, or too hot in these seasons and I just don't like. But Spring and Fall? Those are my seasons. I'd give anything right now to have Spring come a bit early, I'm so over the ice and cold!

Living in Canada it's to be expected. We have seasons, we have snow and cold. Yes, All fine and good. But last night after a day of a decent snow fall it was pouring rain with some lovely Thunder and Lightning! Which I've never seen in my life during the winter, at least not that I can remember so that was truly something to see!

But - It made for an interesting morning this morning. My husband worked until 230a last night so I decided I'd walk the kids to school this morning, it was all ice. Sheer ice. How dangerous. Every single one of my kids fell on our walk and I even slipped, but managed to get my balance before slamming into the ice. Sadly, it wasn't the case for another lady. We were crossing the road near the school when she was walking behind us, and Jayden was walking beside me with her son who is in his class all of a sudden we heard a big crash, and a scream. I turned around and Jordan had already taken off behind me to get to her side and I was right behind him. The poor lady had fallen on a  huge thick patch of ice and hit her face on the ice. Her phone, mitts and bag were all around her on the sidewalk. People walking past, and even stepping over her things.

I asked if she was okay, but she didn't respond. I asked again as I saw her face was already red and she was holding onto her forehead. She didn't respond. I looked up and asked the little boy if he could see if she was alright, but he just stood there in shock.

Jordan reached down and grabbed her hand and began to help her up, I grabbed onto her other arm when all she could manage to say was "Thank You"

We figured out she didn't speak any English, so that would explain not even understanding me. She thanked us twice and we walked closely near her to the school. When we arrived the VP was outside helping people on the sidewalk, I told him he may want to just check if shes okay because she fell and hit her head. He thanked me and helped her inside the school. 

I dropped the kids off, and walked Jayden down to his class. On my way out I walked past the office where I saw her sitting, crying with ice on her head. Outside the VP thanked me again and urged me to please be careful walking home, he said he hadn't seen it this bad in a while.

 I made it home safely, only slipping once but again not falling. The school called to thank me for my help, and to let me know they went up to Jordan's class to thank him as well as not many people anymore help others out. They told me she was ok, refused any medical help beyond ice but did have a very big bump on her forehead so they advised her family to keep watch.

I couldn't believe the amount of people who just kept walking by her, and even walking over her and her items on the sidewalk. It's okay to stop and help if someone falls or is hurt. No one will think any less of you... I do understand everyone was rushing to get to where they needed to be, but as human beings the right thing to do would be stop and help. I'm just glad my amazing son was there to help, and that I taught him enough to know what to do instead of walking past, or even worse over top of someone clearly needing help.

I don't think I'm too surprised though, I've lost a lot of faith in humans lately. So sad.

1 comment:

  1. It is so sad to see how lame people have gotten lately. It's rare that someone holds the door open now. But thanks to people like you and I and for showing our children how to be a polite, nice, helping person, we can be that change. I make Jayde open and hold doors for people and now she just does it and always has manners! It's all about learning from an example! You are setting a perfect example for your children!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design