HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

Memory Book

Monday, May 26, 2014

If you've read the blog for a while, or followed me on any social media you would know I lost my mom to lung cancer when I was 16 years old. She was just 48. It's something I don't often talk about, but when I do (her birthday, anniversary of death etc) I can sometimes get a bit carried away in regards to it.

I'm not sure why but I still don't think I've fully processed the whole entire thing. I was in a weird place when she died, I was angry at her for getting sick - she smoked so I blamed the whole thing on her. I wasn't nice, at all. But even now, almost 13 years later and I still think she may walk in that front door one day. Kinda sad, and a bit scary considering she has been gone a while.

Anyways, I have kept in touch with her best friend that she was so close with for 20+ years, who I grew up very close with. We speak often, and would visit often when I lived back home. Now she lives 2.5 hours away in the town I used to live and every single year I've forgotten her Birthday. Sure I have 6 kids and am busy, but that is no excuse. She always remembers my kids on all holidays and Birthday's so this year I made it my mission not to forget hers!

I spoke with her on Mother's Day and I flat out asked her again when her Birthday is. June 17th she says with a snicker and tells me "Your mom always thought it was in May too!" - oops! Totally thought I had forgotten it, but was thrilled I hadn't.

I decided on a photo book from Shutterfly. At first I had planned to make the book with photos of my kids, but now that she has her own Grandbabies I didn't want to step on any toes, or anything so I got the idea to make a memory book for her of my mom. My mom loved her dearly, and they were always on the phone, visiting at each others houses or having coffee. She delivered the eulogy at my mom's funeral and was basically the only person who had promised to make sure I'd be okay that actually did just that. She was my rock. She had also told me she has 1 photo of my mom, one! That's it - so I knew I had to do this!

So yesterday, I made the book. I was a little hesitant because a few months ago we had a flood in our basement and all of my photo albums from when I was a child got ruined. Badly, water damaged and ruined.. Luckily, I found 2 albums that were hiding in my bedroom closet. 1 my grandma had made me, and 1 from my mom and dads wedding. It was perfect.

I decided to make the book photos and friendship quotes. Ones that could relate to them, and how much she meant to my mom. The program kept telling me "This photo is low quality" but I couldn't really help it as I was limited with the photos I had, not to mention had to use photos of photos. BUT, I'm hopeful it will turn out. If not, Looks like she may end up with a personalized Erin Condren address book!

Going through the photos brought back a lot of memories. Mostly wonderful, teary memories that I hope to one day be able to share with my kids as they grow. I hope my moms best friend likes this gift. I was a little unsure at giving someone a memory book for a Birthday but I wanted to give her something special, meaningful and that she would appreciate. She has 1 photo of my mom so I think this is something she will cherish.

Here's just a few of the photos I decided to put in the book...






She is missed.

26 comments:

  1. I have ordered numerous photo books for my mother over the years. She loves getting them for special occasions and they really are the perfect gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think memory books are an awesome idea. What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this post gave me the chills. I also have lost my mom and my dad. I miss them and think about them often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! I know she will love the photo album; that is so sweet of you. I'm so sorry for your loss. The teenage years aren't easy in any regard, much less having to lose a parent during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure she will love her birthday gift, as it's definitely a gift from the heart. I see so much of Jordan in that second picture of your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to do a memory book. What a beautiful gift idea! Your mom was so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shutterfly books are such a great way to preserve memories. I think this will make for a beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss. And, what a great idea for your mom's best friend! I know she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some beautiful pictures and I know it will make a great book.

    Michelle F.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these kind of books. I love being able to make them after the kids and I go somewhere fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love memory books. I have so many picutes now that I wish I would print before I forget about them. Making the books are a great way to relive the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great book idea. I appreciate you sharing this, it reminds me to appreciate my parents who are both still alive and kicking at 80 years old. I know I am very lucky.
    thanks,
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love using shutterfly for albums. They make great gifts and the quality is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love making memory books. So much fun and I enjoy looking back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mother also passed away from lung cancer. She fought lung cancer off and on since I was just 15 years old, but finally passed about 6 years ago. It honestly feels just like yesterday that she was still here with me, and I know what you mean about how it feels like they could just walk through the door. Shutterfly is one of the best companies I've used for personalized things. A memory book would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is such a wonderful idea, a great way to collect memories, and cherish them for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry your mom died of lung cancer. The photo book is a great way to preserve your mom's memory - Shutterfly is great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so amazing and such a sweet idea! I'm so sorry about your mom, I can't imagine what that was like for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It had to be very hard to lose your mother especially at 16 I think that is about the time we need out moms the most. What a great gift you are giving to your mothers best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A memory book is such a good idea and memento. We love Shutterfly products

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think memory books are wonderful to give for gifts. Shutterfly makes my favorite, I love their quality. I hope your mom's best friend loves her present, I am guessing that she will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm in tears, I lost my sister in 2005, its so odd that I still sometimes picture her just walking in one day. My heart goes out to you. I too will be creating such a beautiful memory book for my baby sister.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great way to hold onto memories. I need to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its nice you were able to make a photo book of memories. Your mom seemed like a nice woman.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fantastic way to keep those memories. That is something you will treasure forever.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful pictures! And what a great way to keep the memories alive!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design