HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

Guest Blog: The Wonderful World of Bento!

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Hey everyone, it's Heidi here on another wonderful Wednesday.

I hope everyone is well during this crazy stressful time of year. Today I am going to talk about school lunches, in particular the Bento meal.

Bento is defined as a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese culture. A traditional bento holds rice, fish or meat, with pickled or cooked vegetables, usually in a box-shaped container.

It was around 6 months ago that I really got into this bento craze. I saw a ton of awesome pictures on instagram displaying these incredibly cute, compact healthy lunches. In even cuter bento boxes with all of these amazing accessories that go along with it. I had been struggling for sometime to get my 4 year old daughter to eat her lunch in a timely manner without a fight. Once I saw these I knew I had to try them. These would be my answer to getting her to eat healthy lunches while making it fun. I placed my first order in July to a wonderful Etsy shop in japan, "Bento A Day". I received my order within a week to Canada, which I was totally shocked about. Upon opening the package with my daughter I explained to her what these item were for and how they were going to make lunchtime fun.  We were both extremely excited and I couldn't wait to see if my plan was going to work. The next day I made our first bento lunches and boy was she in love.

I knew with My daughter starting school in September that these would ensure she would eat most of what was packed for her. Almost everyday her lunch is coming home empty, which makes me extremely happy. While at the school for meet the teacher the subject of lunch came up and my daughters teacher couldn't stop raving about how wonderful these bento lunches were. It made me feel extremely proud to hear some recognition that wasn't just from my DD.

If you have a picky eater or maybe just a child who is bored or the same old thing, you should definitely look into the world of bentoing. We have not missed a single school day of using these great boxes and accessories. She looks forward to opening her lunch everyday and finding out what we packed for her and how unique it looks.

As much as I despise the chore of making lunches I am so glad to make these bentos because she truly does enjoy them. I know one day not too far down the road she will be too "grown up" for them, so I will enjoy this while I can.


<3 Heidi

6 comments:

  1. These are the greatest idea's ever!! Super cute and so easy for the little ones to get what they need!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, we enjoy these so much around here. They have helped a ton!

      Delete
  2. I see be to all over the place but never really got into it. My kids are so picky I don't know how to even go about this. They won't eat any vegetables and limited fruit what do you suggest Heidi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah in my experience presentation is HUGE for kids. Making these bento's was a step in the right direction on getting my daughter to eat everything without always giving me a fight. Mine isn't so much picky, she would just rather be doing something else then sitting at a table eating. I would start by buying some cute containers at the dollar store, along with some cookie cutters and silicone muffin cups. Small portions, with a variety of different foods might get them to want to try new things. Carrots and dip or cucumber might be a good starting point, since most kids love dipping. I practiced making these and finding out what worked best and what didn't before I sent my daughter to school. By the time school had started we had already been making these at home for 2 months, so I felt comfortable sending her to school with them because I knew she ate more. I would just keep trying, eventually you will find something they like. Maybe by making it fun they will be just a little more inclined to try. Good luck, I hope they come around for you. :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design