HEADER PHOTO

HEADER PHOTO

Just 10 Seconds for Mom, PLEASE!

Monday, May 19, 2014

Lately it seems as though I can't even have 10 seconds to myself. I stand up and not only do I have 3 dogs on my behind but usually 2-3 kids as well. I have no idea why. No matter what I do, or where I go this happens.

Even if I just stand up and move to a different spot on the couch... they jump up to follow me, but I don't even move just scoot down. It's usually my girls and now Jayden that does this.

Which, is great I love sitting with them, cuddling and being close but is there a point it becomes too much?

It just seems like it's getting worse, and I'm not sure why. It's not like a nice little cuddle, or hug here and there, it's full on - on top of me!

When I went out to dinner with Ilana a few weeks ago we were talking about kids and I had mentioned it and she made a good point. They know my mom passed away when I was younger so maybe they don't want me out of their sight, or out of reach for too long out of fear?

I didn't really think much of it, but it really makes sense.

I've been very open and honest with them about my mom and the fact she had cancer so she did pass away. They've asked questions, so I have tried my hardest to answer them the best I can. I don't go into specifics, they just know that she was 48, passed away after getting sick with cancer. That's basically it. Which is really all that happened though, nothing bad or gory to explain. 

I get their concern, and I understand that in their minds I'm sure that fear will always be there. But not letting me have my own little space to breathe? Can be a bit suffocating. So I need to be gentle with this because I don't want them to think I'm pushing them away or I don't want the closeness, or I don't want them around because it's not that at all, so I really need to approach this with a lot of caution. This is very important to me to keep their feelings from being hurt, but be able to have a little bit of my own space. My kids are my everything, they are my world so you know if I'm saying this is too much, it's too much!

To be able to go to the bathroom, or stand up to grab a drink without tripping over them, you know?

This morning I tried to get up and go change the laundry around. Our laundry is in the kitchen which is on the same level, and eye shot from the living room and within seconds I had 3 dogs and 2 kids on my heels. So much so, one of them stepped on the back of my heel.

So, I had to have a little chat with them and let them know, just because I get up to walk around doesn't mean I'm not going to come right back to where I was, or if I go to another room, or floor of the house doesn't mean I'm not coming back. They need to understand that they don't have to be on top of me 24/7...... But I'm not sure how well it sunk in. I think we may end up having a few more conversations about this.

Hopefully soon I will be able to pee in peace. And a shower? bath? Can't remember the last time I was able to do that without having kids knocking, yelling or UNLOCKING the door with a penny to get in and say "Hi mom!" (and yes, I only ever do these things when my husband is home - he doesn't do a good job of keeping them from finding me!)

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? They've never dealt with people coming and going from their lives. There's nothing new going on in our lives, or big changes! I've never left for long periods of time, the longest I believe I've been away from them in the last oh, 5 years is when I was at the hospital to give birth and even then I was on the phone with them all and having them come visit..... So, it can be exhausting. While taking care of a baby, toddler and a household.

I wonder how else I can explain this to them in a way an 8, 7 and 5 year old can understand but not feel like I'm pushing them away or I'm mad. I'm not in the least. I just need a little space to be able to...BREATHE?

44 comments:

  1. Maybe try to start teaching them that alone time is important for everyone, including them. Some times we will take quiet time in each of our rooms, not punished, just alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually a great idea! I never even thought of that, thank you Renee I will be trying this!

      Delete
    2. My thinking was along the lines of what Renee said. I think it may be a good thing for all of you!!

      Delete
  2. Every one needs their me time. I do understand their fears, but in time they will see Mom is always with them even when she is not in the same room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would try to explain me time and how everyone needs it. Maybe do girl date nights and boy date nights so everyone has so individual time with you?

    Boba + Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This we do all the time. I take them individually to do stuff, or watch a movie, or go for a Starbucks iced tea, to the library. Something with each one alone which they love but it doesn't do anything for this issue as we've done these date nights since Jayden was born! :/

      Delete
  4. Your children have such sweet smiles! I am hoping your get a moment to pee by yourself too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I totally feel you! When my husband gets home from work, I often tell him just let me have 10 minutes to myself. That's it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may start doing that. Or doing quick store runs alone and not taking 1 or 2 kiddos with me..... Weekdays it's not so bad, they are in school, but weekends and weeknights it does get to be a bit overwhelming and with summer coming up I need to figure out an alternative!

      Delete
  6. Unlocking the door with a penny- haha! I'm sure they tagalong just because they love you and your presence but hopefully they'll learn personal space soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? lol.. I ask how did you get in??? Ones holding a penny, or another time the end of a FORK. oy

      Delete
  7. I have tried many times to teach my kids that alone time is not just ok, but necessary. My kids haven't gotten it yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am glad it's not just my kids that do this! Hopefully I can have them ease up just a wee bit!

      Delete
  8. Alone time is so important. I have always encouraged my children to entertain themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too! Which they do very well.. But even if off playing in the play room or doing arts & crafts they come check on me often, it's sweet but at the same time a bit odd to me!

      Delete
  9. You will miss this when they're older and don't want to be near you! But...I completely understand that everyone needs a breather. I usually wait til hubby gets home

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can definitely understand your frustration. I felt this way yesterday. I hope you can get 10 seconds to yourself. I usually just hide in my closet for a few seconds and take deep breathes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can understand your frustration; I would maybe make a certain time each day that they KNOW about and tell them this is Mommy time. Start with 10 minutes and extend it each time, and congratulate them on doing so well playing by themselves. Eventually I believe they will be OK with you not being right there! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What if everyone was able to have 30 minutes of quiet time a day? I know your 5 year old can grasp that - maybe it will work for everyone, including you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My bunnies do this to me all day long! They hop along behind me, tug at the hem of my jeans, etc. Though bunnies are much different than children, I put my buns in their cages when I have to do something, so maybe have your kids have some alone time in their rooms?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just tell my older kids that I need some space and a break. They usually get it because they like the same, too. Now a 3 year old? One day she'll get it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you can reassure them so that you can have a moment's peace. My mom's mom died when my mom was 15. It was something we were always reminded of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't really dealt with this before so I don't have much advice. My daughter went through a separation anxiety phase but she kind of moved on from it. I'm sure it's bound to come back as she gets older!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am feeling the same way this week, especially. We got another dog (we have one rat terrier and now a boxer) and I feel like it's a full time job just taking them out to potty. Gahh! Not to mention working 24/7 and taking care of a family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know exactly how you feel! There has to be some balance and some "me" time! I do try to enjoy their closeness since I know it won't last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so desperately need 10 seconds or anything my kids could be willing to spare. Its so important as parents to get time to regroup and recharge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know how you feel! I think teaching them alone time is needed is a good idea, maybe incorporate a mandatory rest / quiet time daily.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I stay up after everyone goes to bed in order to get alone time:( Unfortunately that means that I am the first one up and the last one to bed. I need to institute a quite time for mommy during the day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the idea of a separate alone time. My 3 year old will go to his room for about 30 min every day and plays by himself. And I get my alone time (with my 6 month old).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I feel your pain. It would be so nice to just be able to use the bathroom in peace lol! We are working on this as well....mixed results so far.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Me time is always important to rest and recharge. I don't have kids yet so basically it's always me time..

    ReplyDelete
  25. haha! It never changes even when they get older. Mine are 17 and 12 and I still have no me time really. Lol. They love you and that is the biggest reason why

    ReplyDelete
  26. When my toddler gets home from school, we cannot leave the couch. It is terrible! I Want to clean or do other things, but he is just like nope, following you while you cook. He does not like to play independently!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I feel your pain. My toddler seems to be afraid of being left alone lately so he follows me EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't have any kids so I really don't know what you're going through but I agree, you need to sit them down and gently explain to them mommy isn't going anywhere and she needs her 'personal bubble' space, too. Hopefully they'll understand and you can have some breathing room again :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. We used to do a "quiet time" each afternoon. When they were too old for naps....

    ReplyDelete
  30. My kids are on my heels most of the time too. I try to remember that it won't always be this way. One day, they'll be doing their own thing. It can be super frustrating though.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can understand how they'd want to be near you right now, but yes, you definitely deserve a little breathing room. Goodness gracious.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Been there and done that! Sometimes moms need their own time! Our town has a moms night out meeting each month. Maybe you can see if there is one near you?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm right there with you! I never have a moment of peace in this house. If you figure out how to pee alone, please tell me!!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ugh I so remember those times. I agree with the poster that said teach them about alone time. During summer we have quiet reading time because they're too old to nap. Try that?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Teaching them alone time is so important. Mommy can't be covered in kids 24/7.. It's rough!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I make my alone time. 5 am every morning before anyone else is awake. I NEED that time. 2 hours to myself...bliss!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hover Pin It Code

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design